As a community called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society, and the world. There are many opportunities for adult discipleship at Salem Lutheran Church, which include:
Women of Salem Gatherings for fellowship, growing in faith, and service.
• Lydia Circle: Fourth Tuesday evening for fellowship in homes or Salem Lutheran Church, study from Gather, making of baptismal banners, support of the Children’s Home.
• Naomi Circle: First Wednesday evening for fellowship in homes or Salem Lutheran Church, study from various resources, coordinate the funeral lunches.
• Rebecca Circle: First Tuesday morning at Salem Lutheran Church, study from Gather magazine, plan activities for Lutheran Hillside Village two or three times per year.
• Women of the Word: meets on Sundays during Education Hour to discuss the Sunday readings.
• Women’s Bible Studies: Bible-based study
• Gathering in Grace: Facebook Fellowship Salem family oriented for updates on opportunities to gather for fellowship, serve Salem Lutheran Church or the community, and to post faith based content for encouragement and growth. Meets on Fridays at 1pm on Zoom.
• Women of Salem Peoria, IL: Facebook Fellowship Salem women oriented for encouragement, opportunity updates, sharing
• Quilters: Most Wednesday mornings meet for coffee and sweets and the planning and making of special memories quilts for Salem Lutheran Church high school seniors and banners for special occasions.
Salem Churchmen meet the third Monday each month over Zoom at 7pm.
Salem Churchmen are blessed to be able to give in both the community as well as our congregation. Salem Churchmen organize the Annual Church Picnic, and the spring and fall work days. They also support Habitat for Humanity work days, helping those currently in a home, but whom may need additional help to accomplish yard work, home repairs, or general house up-keep. We also look forward to lending a hand on upcoming Habitat builds next year. Salem Churchmen also have a Bachmann Scholarship, which enables deserving members of our youth, encouraging them in their college educations. The Salem Churchmen also help our young people attend Leadership Lab to encourage the development of their leadership skills and faith at Augustana College.
Our seniors group, Seniors of Salem, was organized to provide a vibrant, meaningful, and ongoing fellowship opportunity for the members of the congregation who are age 60 and/or retired.
Tables of 8 is a connecting ministry that brings together smaller “communities” within our larger church community. It is made of up groups who go out to eat together (breakfast, lunch, dinner, or coffee) to foster more intimate relationships. Individual groups decide when, where and how often.
Adult Fellowship is an adult social group who get together for a fun event, such as a wine & cheese party, golf or a concert. It’s a chance to get to know each other and do something fun with other Christians. Currently Adult Fellowship meets over Zoom at least once a month or for coffee hour on Sundays at 11am on Zoom.